Most of the Typographics festival will take place at The Cooper Union, in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City.
Founded as a tuition-free college by philanthropist Peter Cooper in 1859, The Cooper Union is the alma mater of many noteworthy typographers and lettering artists including Herb Lubalin, Milton Glaser, Reynold Ruffins, Jeanee Wong, Seymour Chwast, Ellen Lupton, and Lou Dorfsman. The school is home of the Type@Cooper typeface design program as well as the Herb Lubalin Study Center, an archive of modern graphic design.
The main conference portion of the Typographics festival will be held in the historic Great Hall, inside Cooper’s Foundation Building at 7 East 7th Street. Since 1859, the Great Hall with its 859 seats has been a venue for a wide variety of historical speakers, including US presidents from Lincoln and Grant to Clinton and Obama.
The Typographics book fair and most workshops will take place across the street at 41 Cooper Square. Completed in 2009, the building was designed by Thom Mayne and his firm Morphosis and is one of the most unusual buildings in the East Village, with a unique modernist facade.
Here’s a map of Cooper Triangle, with the Foundation Building to the north and 41 Cooper Square to the east:
Where to Stay
Hotels with discounts
- Holiday Inn Lower East Side: Typographics attendees are offered a preferred rate starting at $179 per night for reservations made by May 13, 2022. For the preferred rate use this discount link (don’t click the green “Book Now” button, and instead scroll down to enter the dates of your stay).
- Hotel Indigo Lower East Side: Typographics attendees are offered a preferred rate (with amenitiy fees waived) starting at $279 per night for reservations June 12th–23th, 2022. Offer expires May 1, 2022. For the preferred rate you can use this discount link or directly contact Indigo’s sales manager Sue Kyaw by email to be sure you get the best available deal: Sue.Kyaw@ihg.com.
- Moxy NYC East Village: Typographics attendees are offered a preferred rate (with hotel destination fee waived) starting at $299 per night for reservations June 16th–19, 2022. Offer expires May 17, 2022. For the preferred rate, use this discount link.
- Airbnb: Homesharing options in NYC can be affordable if you split a multi-room apartment with a group of people.
- Kayak: Kayak can be a helpful website for finding hotel deals in NYC.
- Ace Hotel: Designer friendly, dimly lit, shabby chic.
- The Standard: Not cheap but very nice. Right next door to Cooper Union.